Be aware - this only works on cartridges that have a shadow feature.
Cartridge used: George/Basic Shapes
1. Right click anywhere on the mat. You will see this box:2. Highlight the text “untitled page” and overtype it with a new name eg: Top layer
3. Press enter
4. Create your first layer. For this exercise I will be using the word “Welcome”. Type this in starting on the left hand side of the mat and using a size of 1.5/8"
5. With Kerning set to 0.000 click the Apply button
6. Using the Nudge buttons, make sure all the letters are overlapping.
7. Click the Preview button. This is what you should see so far. (Yours may be a different color). 8. With your word selected, click Weld. This should be your result.
9. Now would be a good time to SAVE!
10. Click the New Page button. Rename this page to: Shadow
11. Click the Shadow key on the DS keyboard
12. Click the Preview button
13. Open the View menu, and make sure “Keep preview as mat background” is ticked. If not, click on it to put a tick near it.
14. Move the cursor to the left of the mat and below the word “Welcome”.
15. Type the shadowed word “Welcome”
16. Select your shadowed word and move it up so the W covers the W of the unshadowed word.
17. Click Preview. The Shadowed “Welcome” will show up as a different color.
18. Click on the Shadowed E and nudge it to the left until it sits over the unshadowed E.
19. Repeat this process with the remaining letters.
20. Click Preview in between nudging each letter so that you can better see where the letters need to go. Lighter preview colors are easier to see. To change the Preview color, right click on the mat, Select Set Preview Color and click on any light color from the palette. Here is the finished result.
21. Making sure that you are still on the Shadow mat, select the word Welcome and click Weld.
You may need to fiddle with the nudging slightly but this should be the result.
22. To cut your design you can either cut one layer at a time or you can copy the shadowed word to the top layer, (or vice versa) and move it to the bottom of the mat. (Turn off Keep preview as background). Then on your real mat you can position your 2 different papers and cut both titles at the same time.